- 3 Min Read
- 8 Apr 2021
National Geographic Global Explorers: Smart Fun for Kids & Teens
Developed in conjunction with National Geographic Education, the Global Explorers program launched in Galápagos in 2017 and expanded to Alaska in 2018. It was designed to help kids develop the attitudes, skills and knowledge of an explorer—by choosing cool activities to engage in during the expedition.
Guests under 18 will:
- Take part in daily fun activities, tailored to their age, all while making new friends and lifelong memories
- Benefit from National Geographic certified field educators: Our naturalists, newly minted as National Geographic certified field educators, optimize daily learning opportunities
- Connect with nature: They’ll have direct contact with wildlife above and below the sea, such as snorkeling with sea lions in Galápagos and identifying whale flukes from the ship’s bow in Alaska
- Learn to be a storyteller: Through photos, videos, music, drawing and more, kids can use their creativity to tell stories about the unique things they’ll do and see along the way
- Develop their observation skills: Daily “In the Field" activities will prompt kids to watch out for a particular item, like a creature with scales or a giant coral head on land, then record their observations in their Field Notebook
“Having direct access to a naturalist was a real bonus. We could ask questions whenever we wanted and I got to learn about what I was interested in. Working in the Field Notebook was a good way to reflect on what I did each day and capture what I saw, learned, and experienced. Meeting other kids from across the U.S. was cool too. I made some lasting connections and had a lot of fun!”
- BRIDGET GOLDBERG, National Geographic Quest Guest
Activities are always optional—to maximize flexibility for families to engage in activities together or follow their own individual interests. We knew the program was well-designed, and we were proud of the quality of the National Geographic Global Explorers Program Field Notebook, but even we were surprised by kids’ and teens’ appetite for the program. And they love their Field Notebooks!
Whether your kids or grandkids struggled with remote learning this past year or took to it, chances are you will be pleased and gratified by seeing the richness and sheer smart fun our National Geographic Global Explorers Program will add to their, and your, summer vacation.
“I can only hope that these kinds of experiences—both for my kids and all the families onboard—will help culture a real love of the natural world that gets deep into their cells, that lays the foundation for becoming our planet’s future stewards.” —DR. TIERNEY THYS
This June, bring your family back to the wild. Join us in Galápagos aboard National Geographic Endeavour II or explore Alaska's Coastal Wilderness aboard National Geographic Quest or National Geographic Venture.
Please note, some activities may be modified in adherence with Lindblad Expeditions COVID-19 protocols. Social distancing and face coverings will be required.